"And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers..." Malachi 4:6

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thought for the day

"But, we preach Christ crucified to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness."
1 Cor. 1:23-27 To some, as stated here, Christ is a stumbling block or foolishness. But to others who are called, Christ is the power and wisdom of God (vs. 24) wherever the gospel is preached. 

I have often questioned poverty since I was young. How could a loving father allow His children to suffer from malnourishment and even death in third world countries and slums in the U.S.A? Over the years, I had come to the conclusion that God is sovereign and it was not right for me to question Him, but to simply trust.  Then, I visited Haiti last year, and understood the simplicity and the power of the Gospel in a whole new way. I found that the people in Haiti are not so devastated as I previously thought, they are blessed because they know God. In verse 27, it says, "God has chosen the foolish things of this world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong." Their faith is simple, but large. 


After visiting Haiti, I have never felt so helpless, so broken, so shamed, and so determined to return to a country who taught me so much. The people of Haiti live in poverty and extreme devastation, but are smiling and almost always joyful. I have never experienced such simple joy and such day to day complete dependence on God by a people. They have little materialism for which to be thankful, but are whole-heartedly thankful every day. You could hear praises sung deep into the night nearly every day of the week. I left Haiti feeling like I learned so much. I felt like a piece of my heart was ripped out and left behind, as I fought back the uncontrollable tears and emotions as the plane left the runway. Serving in this way completely took me by surprise, in that they had taught me much more than I could ever teach them. A people many despise and view as poor and uneducated had shown me many truths and such wisdom. They taught me to sincerely depend on God every day for my needs. They taught me to be thankful for small things like fresh clean water, food in my refrigerator, and clothes on my back. They taught me to be thankful for clean paved streets, a grocery store with fresh food, honest people, dear friends, and beloved family. They taught me to be thankful for my warm house, even my plywood living room floor because it is not dirt. They taught me to be thankful for my seven bedrooms, even though we really need eight. In fact, my house is 10 times bigger than the average Haitian home. I told my husband that I didn't care if I ever had a perfectly decorated home or a new floor. I truly believe I live in a mansion. I am TRULY thankful for everything I have. And I came away, not only feeling blessed, but also ridden with guilt. I believe I don't really need everything I have. We can do more and get by on less. 

I am grateful for the loving community we live in. I am grateful for all those who have lovingly accepted my Haitian children as if they were born here. I am grateful for the opportunity to pay taxes so we can have a school and clean, paved, streets and highways. 

I am also thankful for every day we have the opportunity to share the gospel. Wherever we go, whatever we do, Father, I pray Your light shines through those who know they are called. We know that every day is an opportunity to further Your kingdom, wherever we are, by sharing Your love. I pray for the opportunity to meet someone's needs, to share a smile and brighten someone's day. I pray for the opportunity to show someone they are indeed important in this world, and to accept them lovingly and unconditionally. I pray that wherever we are sharing Your gospel, that it will not be deemed as foolishness, that we will join together as Your people to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth, starting right here, so that we may witness the return of Christ and that the prophecy may be fulfilled.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Amen sister. What an inspirational prayer. I prayed it along with you!